The takeCHARGE of Your Town initiative started in 2010 and is aimed at encouraging residents and municipalities to reduce their energy use. We have awarded over $85,000 in the past seven years to cities and towns successful in winning our challenge. The takeCHARGE of Your Town initiative invites municipalities to submit proposals that will support their efforts to develop or improve energy conservation or energy efficiency projects. Projects have to demonstrate a positive effort to conserve energy that benefits the entire community.
- 2018/2019 Program Details
A key focus of the takeCHARGE program is to help raise awareness amongst residents, businesses and communities of the importance of using energy wisely and encourage more people to take action today to reduce their energy usage. We are committed to providing residents and businesses in Newfoundland and Labrador with support in their energy conservation efforts through our takeCHARGE residential and commercial rebate programs.
The takeCHARGE of Your Town initiative started in 2010 and is aimed at encouraging residents and municipalities to reduce their energy use. We have awarded $85,000 in the past seven years to cities and towns successful in winning our challenge.
In 2018/2019, we will once again be inviting municipalities to submit proposals that will support their efforts to develop or improve energy conservation or energy efficiency projects. Projects must demonstrate a positive effort to conserve energy that benefits the entire community. Examples of eligible projects include, but are not limited to, energy efficient upgrades to a town hall or municipal building.
We are now accepting proposals. The deadline for submission is 4:00 p.m., March 29, 2019. A successful proposal will be announced Spring 2019.
1. Proposals should include the following:
a. a detailed description of the project;
b. the total estimated cost of the project;
c. other partners including additional project funding;
d. how the takeCHARGE of Your Town grant will be used;
e. how our employees can provide hands-on support; and,
f. overall benefit to the community.
2. Projects need to demonstrate energy conservation or energy efficiency.
3. One grant of $7,500 will be awarded.
4. Include any additional information that will support your proposal.
5. Proposals must indicate how funding will be used by December 31, 2019. Funding will be issued upon project completion.
6. Proposals need to be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to your utility.
c/o Heather Carter
St. John’s, NL A1B 3P6
Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro
c/o Elaine Cole
P.O. Box 12400
St. John’s, NL A1B 4K7
Congratulations to the 2017/2018 winners of the takeCHARGE of Your Town Initiative!
Following over 30 submissions from towns across Newfoundland and Labrador, TWO winners were selected to receive a grant of $7,500.
- Town of Gambo
• The Town of Gambo’s grant will be used to purchase LED post lights and lights for the Village Green. This money will help the Town of Gambo maintain and progress its conservation efforts in providing energy efficient alternatives throughout their community.
- Town of St. Alban’s
The Town of St. Alban’s changed the lighting in their arena to LED. The equipment upgrades provided energy savings, cost savings and when added to other improvements done, it ensured the arena’s continued benefit to the community.