Typical Retail Electricity use in Newfoundland & Labrador
Together space heating, HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) and lighting make up close to 80% of retailers electricity use in Newfoundland and Labrador. Here are some upgrades you can make to reduce your electricity costs in these areas. Don’t forget you can get back up to $50,000 when you make eligible energy efficient upgrades to your business.
Upgrading to energy efficient lighting, like LED, can save you over 35% on lighting energy costs.
A lighting upgrade can save on more than just your electrical costs. Energy efficient lamps and bulbs last longer, saving on replacement lights and maintenance costs.
LED lighting can even make merchandise look better.
takeCHARGE offers rebates on a variety of energy efficient lighting:
- LED Light Bulbs – 50% – Up to $10 per bulb!
- T8 LED Tubes (four-foot) – Up to $3 per bulb.
- LED High Bay Fixtures – Up to $90 per fixture.
- LED Wall Packs – $25 per unit.
- LED Exit Signs – $20 per exit sign and $15 per retrofit kit.
Don’t forget to use day-lighting whenever possible and encourage employees to turn off the lights at the end of the day.
HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Cooling)
- Programmable thermostats – Save up to 10% in heating costs when you install programmable thermostats and get a takeCHARGE rebate. Calculate your rebate.
- Install a Mini-split heat pump – These units are great for small retailers and are economical to install. A mini-split heat pump can save you over 40% on your heating costs. They also offer the option of air conditioning for those warm summer months.
- Cold climate or low temperature air source heat pump (ASHP) systems are more efficient than conventional electric baseboards and are a great choice for larger buildings. These systems can achieve savings up to 50% over conventional electric baseboards.
- Larger retailers can use Building Automation Systems (BAS) to efficiently manage energy usage for the building. These systems can save up to 30% in energy costs.
- Address any building envelope issues:
- Roof Insulation
- Wall Insulation
- Gaps around doors, windows and entry point into the facility
Interested in reducing your electricity costs? One phone call connects you to an energy expert and significant savings. Find out what energy solutions are right for your business today!
Newfoundland Power – 1-800-663-2802
Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro – 1-888-737-1296