Typical Office Electricity Use in Newfoundland & Labrador
Over 60% of the electricity used in Newfoundland and Labrador offices is used for lighting and space heating. HVAC fans and pumps and computer equipment are the next two biggest users making up a combined 25%. Here are some upgrades you can make to reduce your electricity costs in these areas. Don’t forget you can get back up to $50,000 when you make eligible energy efficient upgrades to your business:
- Programmable thermostats – Save up to 10% in heating costs when you install programmable thermostats and get a takeCHARGE rebate. Calculate your rebate.
- Install a Mini-split heat pump – These units are great for small offices and are economical to install. A mini-split heat pump can save you over 40% on your heating costs. They also offer the option of air conditioning for those warm summer months.
- Cold climate or low temperature air source heat pump (ASHP) systems are more efficient than conventional electric baseboards and are a great choice for larger buildings. These systems can achieve savings up to 50% over conventional electric baseboards.
- During the winter months, open the blinds during the day to allow the sun to assist with heating office spaces.
- Address any building envelope issues:
- Roof Insulation
- Wall Insulation
- Gaps around doors, windows and entry point into the facility
- LED Wall Packs – Get $25 back for each LED wall pack you install and save up to 70% of electrical energy costs.
- Occupancy sensors – Save up to 40% on lighting energy costs when you install occupancy sensors. Calculate your rebate.
- When replacing fluorescent lighting, install high efficiency T8 or LED. New energy efficient lighting such as LED can save you over 35% on your lighting energy costs.
- Replace incandescent Exit signs with LED. Get a $20 takeCHARGE rebate at select locations and save $300 over the life of the sign from reduced energy use and materials and labour for bulb changes.
- Minimize exterior lighting. At night only use what you need for safety and security purposes.
- Use day-lighting whenever possible. Natural light has been linked to higher employee productivity and comfort, and even an increase in retail sales.
- Encourage employees to turn off the lights at the end of the day.
HVAC Fans and Pumps
- For larger offices, the use of a Building Automation System (BAS) will efficiently manage energy usage for the building. These systems can save up to 30% in energy costs.
- Where applicable, install adjustable speed drives on fans and pumps. Adjustable speed drives can decrease energy use by over 35%.
- When replacing equipment such as computers, monitors, printers, copiers and fax machines, purchase ENERGY STAR® qualified units.
- Choose laptops when possible. They typically use less energy than desktop computers, in some cases five times less energy.
- Enable the power management features that are built into the computer’s operating system. Using power-management features can reduce electricity costs by $25 to $75 a year per computer.
- Encourage employees to shut off their computers at the end of the day.
Interested in reducing your electricity costs? One phone call connects you to an energy expert and significant savings. Find out what energy solutions are right for your business today!
Newfoundland Power – 1-800-663-2802
Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro – 1-888-737-1296