Typical Fisheries and Fish Processing Electricity use in Newfoundland and Labrador
Process cooling and comfort HVAC are the biggest users of electricity in Newfoundland and Labrador fish processing plants, followed closely by process heating and lighting. Read on to see how you can reduce your electricity costs in these areas and don’t forget you can get back up to $50,000 when you make eligible energy efficient upgrades to your business:
- Ensure all gaskets for all doors on coolers and freezers are maintained to reduce air infiltration or install air curtains.
- Replace fluorescent lights with LEDs and use only as many lights as are necessary.
- Replace evaporator fan motors with ECM motors with a free upgrade from takeCHARGE. ECMs are typically installed on evaporator fans in grocery store coolers, freezers and cold storage areas. ECMs can reduce energy use by over 50%.
- Install variable speed compressors.
- Upgrade to floating head pressure controls.
- Use a heat recovery water heater to take advantage of “free heat” produced by the refrigeration equipment.
- For larger buildings, the use of a Building Automation System (BAS) will efficiently manage energy usage for the building. These systems can save up to 30% in energy costs.
- Where applicable, install adjustable speed drives on fans and pumps. Adjustable speed drives can decrease energy use by over 35%.
- Replace failed motors with premium efficiency motors which can be up to 8% more efficient when compared to standard motors.
- Address any building envelope issues:
- Roof Insulation.
- Wall Insulation.
- Gaps around doors, windows and entry point into the facility.
- Install high efficiency boiler systems.
- Reduce losses through leaks and steam traps.
- Optimize system temperatures based on process requirements.
- Install heat recovery units such as a boiler stack economizer.
- Install high efficiency pumps on feed water lines.
Upgrading to energy efficient lighting, like LED, can save you over 35% on lighting energy costs.
A lighting upgrade can save on more than just your electrical costs. Energy efficient lamps and bulbs last longer, saving on replacement lights and maintenance costs.
takeCHARGE offers rebates on a variety of energy efficient lighting:
- LED Light Bulbs – 50% – Up to $10 per bulb
- LED High Bay Fixtures – Up to $90 per fixture.
- LED Wall Packs – $25 per unit.
- LED Exit Signs – $20 per exit sign and $15 per retrofit.
- High Performance T8 Fluorescent Lamps – $1 per lamp.
- Fluorescent High Bay Fixtures – $60 per fixture
Minimize exterior lighting. At night only use what you need for safety and security purposes.
Use day-lighting whenever possible. Natural light has been linked to higher employee productivity and comfort.
Encourage employees to turn off the lights at the end of the day.
Interested in reducing your electricity costs? One phone call connects you to an energy expert and significant savings. Find out what energy solutions are right for your business today!
Newfoundland Power – 1-800-663-2802
Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro – 1-888-737-1296