Typical Hospitality Electricity Use in Newfoundland & Labrador
Water and space heating are the biggest electricity users in hospitality based businesses in Newfoundland and Labrador, with each making up about 22% of electricity costs. Food service equipment accounts for another 20%, with lighting accounting for 16%. On average these four segments make up 80% of electricity costs for this sector. Here are some ways to reduce your electricity costs in these areas.
- Install high performance shower heads – Use up to 40% less energy and get a $15 rebate for each unit you install.
- When replacing equipment such as dishwashers, purchase ENERGY STAR® qualified units and save up to 30% energy use over a standard model.
- Install low flow faucet aerators – Save up to 30% on your energy use.
- Energy efficient pre-rinse spray valves can save up to 25% of your spray valve energy use.
- Programmable thermostats – Save up to 10% in heating costs when you install programmable thermostats and get a takeCHARGE rebate. Calculate your rebate.
- Install a mini-split heat pump – These units are great for small restaurants and are economical to install. They also offer the option of air conditioning for those warm summer months.
- Cold climate or low temperature air source heat pump (ASHP) systems are more efficient than conventional electric baseboards. These systems can achieve savings up to 50% over conventional electric baseboards.
- During the winter months, open the blinds during the day to allow the sun to assist with heating your space.
- Address any building envelope issues such as:
- Roof Insulation
- Wall Insulation
- Gaps around doors, windows and any entry point into the facility
Food Service Equipment
- When purchasing electric cooking appliances, such as fryers, griddles, ranges and ovens, purchase high efficiency models. These models are up to 8% more efficient than standard options.
- Electronic Commutated Motors (ECM) operate more efficiently and emit less waste heat, thereby reducing compressor demand. These units can save you up to 70% over shaded pole evaporator fan motors with no fan controller.
- When purchasing fridges or freezers, ensure to buy ENERGY STAR® qualified appliances to save over 35% on your energy use.
- LED Wall Packs – Get $25 back for each LED wall pack you install and save up to 70% of electrical energy costs.
- Occupancy sensors – Save up to 40% on lighting energy costs when you install occupancy sensors. Calculate your rebate.
- When replacing fluorescent lighting, install high efficiency T8, T5 or LED. New energy efficient lighting such as LED can save you over 35% on your lighting energy costs.
- Replace incandescent Exit signs with LED. Get a $20 takeCHARGE rebate at select locations and save over $200 over the life of the sign from reduced energy use and materials and labour for bulb changes.
- Use day-lighting whenever possible.
You can get back up to $50,000 when you make eligible energy efficient upgrades to your business. Contact us to learn more.
Newfoundland Power – 1-800-663-2802
Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro – 1-888-737-1296