Typical Hospitality Electricity Use in Newfoundland & Labrador
Water and space heating are the biggest electricity users in hospitality based businesses in Newfoundland and Labrador, with each making up about 22% of electricity costs. Food service equipment accounts for another 20%, with lighting accounting for 16%. On average these four segments make up 80% of electricity costs for this sector. Here are some ways to reduce your electricity costs in these areas.
- Install high performance shower heads – Use up to 40% less energy and get a $15 rebate for each unit you install.
- When replacing equipment such as dishwashers, purchase ENERGY STAR® qualified units and save up to 30% energy use over a standard model.
- Install low flow faucet aerators – Save up to 30% on your energy use.
- Energy efficient pre-rinse spray valves can save up to 25% of your spray valve energy use.
- Programmable thermostats – Save up to 10% in heating costs when you install programmable thermostats and get a takeCHARGE rebate. Calculate your rebate.
- Install a mini-split heat pump – These units are great for small restaurants and are economical to install. They also offer the option of air conditioning for those warm summer months.
- Cold climate or low temperature air source heat pump (ASHP) systems are more efficient than conventional electric baseboards. These systems can achieve savings up to 50% over conventional electric baseboards.
- During the winter months, open the blinds during the day to allow the sun to assist with heating your space.
- Address any building envelope issues such as:
- Roof Insulation
- Wall Insulation
- Gaps around doors, windows and any entry point into the facility
Food Service Equipment
- When purchasing electric cooking appliances, such as fryers, griddles, ranges and ovens, purchase high efficiency models. These models are up to 8% more efficient than standard options.
- Replace evaporator fan motors with ECM motors with a free upgrade from takeCHARGE. ECMs are typically installed on evaporator fans in grocery store coolers, freezers and cold storage areas. ECMs can reduce energy use by over 50%.
- When purchasing fridges or freezers, ensure to buy ENERGY STAR® qualified appliances to save over 35% on your energy use.
- LED Light Bulbs – 50% – Up to $10 per bulb
- LED High Bay Fixtures – Up to $90 per fixture.
- LED Wall Packs – $25 per unit.
- LED Exit Signs – $20 per exit sign and $15 per retrofit.
- High Performance T8 Fluorescent Lamps – $1 per lamp.
- Fluorescent High Bay Fixtures – $60 per fixture
Upgrading to energy efficient lighting, like LED, can save you over 35% on lighting energy costs.
A lighting upgrade can save on more than just your electrical costs. Energy efficient lamps and bulbs last longer, saving on replacement lights and maintenance costs.
takeCHARGE offers rebates on a variety of energy efficient lighting:
Don’t forget to use day-lighting whenever possible and encourage employees to turn off the lights at the end of the day.
You can get back up to $50,000 when you make eligible energy efficient upgrades to your business. Contact us to learn more.
Newfoundland Power – 1-800-663-2802
Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro – 1-888-737-1296