Fluorescent High Bay
Please note, the Fluorescent High Bay rebate program will be ending on December 31, 2019. LED high bay fixtures deliver more energy savings and are now the most popular technology for high bay applications. We will accept Fluorescent High Bay applications up to December 31, 2019. Applications postmarked on or before that date will be accepted.
Planning a lighting upgrade? Learn more about our LED High Bay rebate here.
- High bay fluorescent fixtures are a great choice for almost any space with a high ceiling including warehouses, large retail spaces, and athletic facilities. High Bay is generally considered to be for applications of 18ft or higher.
- Fluorescent lighting can save up to 60% on your lighting energy use.
- Longer life means reduced maintenance costs and fewer dark spots. Fluorescent lamps typically last 1.5 times longer than metal halide lamps.
- Fluorescent lamps come on right away, no waiting and no down time if lights go off momentarily.
- Because fixtures contain 4-6 lamps, instead of just one, you have more flexibility to respond to burn-outs. When an older metal halide fails, it requires more immediate attention and creates higher maintenance costs.
- Fluorescent lamps provide better colour rendering. Colours look truer and more like they would under the midday sun. Better colour rendering can contribute to employees who are happier.
To be eligible your business must have an active electricity account and reside in an existing commercial building.
- The fluorescent 4-6 lamp T5 or T8 fixture must be replacing a metal halide 250 watt or 400 watt High Intensity Discharge (HID) fixture.
- Lighting must be purchased on or after September 15, 2013 and used at a commercial property.
How to Buy & Install
You can purchase eligible T5 or T8 lighting at a local retailer or online. Just make sure that the fixtures meet the eligibility criteria.
Keep your receipt and the manufacturer product specification sheets. You will need to submit a copy with your application.
We recommend that you have a qualified electrician install your light fixtures.
Service NL maintains a listing of electrical contractors that are eligible to obtain a permit to do electrical work in Newfoundland and Labrador. Visit Service NL for a list of active electrical contractors in the province.
How to Apply
Once your T5 or T8 light fixtures are installed fill out the application form.
- Mail a copy of your purchase receipt and manufacturer product specification sheets with your application to your electricity utility.
- Your rebate will be applied as a credit on your bill.
- Allow up to eight weeks for processing.
- Newfoundland Power and Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro may visit your facility and inspect the lighting installation at any time within 15 months from when the rebate was processed.
How to Maximize your Energy Savings
- If you are replacing lighting fixtures, it’s the perfect time to consider a lighting redesign to determine optimum lighting levels. The proper design may require less lighting energy.
- Turn off the lights after hours. You can also use lighting timers to do it for you automatically.
- Choose fixtures and ballasts that can be paired with occupancy sensors to further increase savings.
- Take advantage of the better control offered by fluorescent fixtures to save energy and reduce your maintenance costs. Bi-level switching allows you to set lighting levels. For example 2 switches instead of one allow you to set light output at 33%, 66% or 100%.
takeCHARGE reserves the right to change or terminate this rebate program at any time. If there is a difference between our printed materials and our website, please refer to the website for the most up-to-date program information.